May 25, 2012

Check out Dem Curls: Annalee


Check out this week's hair profile!
 

What’s your name? Annalee

How old are you? 23
What do you do? I’m an Auditor at a public accounting firm.
Where are you? Toronto
How did we met? Since we’re related I was too young to remember that dreadful day ;) But it’s safe to say I’ve known you my whole life (so 23 years).
Now Playing:
Dance again – Jennifer Lopez
Mercy – Kanye West
Va Va Voom – Nicki Minaj
Quote you live by: “All that we are is the result of what we have thought” – Buddha
Describe your hair type. Shoulder length (growing it back after a major cut last year)3b/3c - Corkscrew curls mostly (different textures in different parts of my head). More on the fine side but it probably doesn’t look like that once it dries and volumizes. Dry!
"Back in the day..."
Tell us a little about your hair history and what made you decide to go natural? I didn’t really have a hair role model growing up.  Since I’m mixed neither of my parents had my hair. Maybe my dad more, but I obviously wasn’t going to get hair advice from him. Throughout my youth up until I was about 9 I brushed out my curls and wore my hair up in a ponytail/bun. My baby hair at the front with all its frizzy glory would stick out so I looked like the sun. When I turned 10 and started grade 7 I began experiment with my mom’s curling iron and used it to straighten the front of my hair so it stayed down. Then I burned myself one day and to this day I still have that indentation on the side of my head.  Up until then the products I was using in my hair were minimal, just shampoo and conditioner once a week, water to keep my hair down and oil for my scalp. At 12 I finally convinced my mom to relax my hair so it was more manageable and easier to straighten. For the next 9 years or so I would straighten (deep fry) my hair daily - sometimes multiple times a day. About 2 years ago I began converting my skincare to natural products, after doing research and discovering all chemicals I was putting on my body. It was only natural that I overhauled my hair care regime too! Since then I’ve grown out my natural hair and haven’t looked back!
Describe your hair regime:
Morning: While I shower I condition my hair with any number of my conditioners I have on hand (usually either Giovanni or Acure Organics). After I rinse out the conditioner I remove the extra moisture with my Micro fiber curl towel and apply the Acure Organics leave-in followed by the Kinky Curly styling gel. I scrunch my hair and just let it air dry during my 1.5 hour commute to work.
Anyone notice I didn’t shampoo?
Night: Every night I make sure I sleep on a silk pillowcase and I pull my hair back into a ponytail because I can usually get a 2 day wear of my curls that way.
Weekly: I’m a big fan of treatments! Every weekend I’ll do at least 1 moisture mask using the Jessi Curl Deep Conditioning Treatment, John Masters Organics - Honey & Hibiscus Hair Reconstructor or a simple Coconut Oil mask. I usually use a hairdryer to open up my hair follicles for the masks to penetrate and I rinse it out the next morning.
That’s it! Pretty simple!
Who is your hair icon? Blast from the past – Dianna Ross, Modern – Noemie Lenoir & Tracy Ellis Ross (naturally)
What was your Momma’s best kept hair secret? None!
The one hair product you couldn’t live without? Conditioner hands down!

Mistakes that you’ve learned from? Do not perm your hair! It takes forever to grow out and that whole in between stage when your hair has a split personality is no fun. Also don’t shampoo unless you have to. Your hair will tell you when it’s time to clarify.
What’s the best thing about being natural? Flexibility! I can get my hair straightened if I really want to but I also get to keep my curls in it’s natural state! Also it’s less work! I used to have to straighten my hair every morning when it was relaxed, my routine is much simpler now.
Any advice for ‘dem curls out there? Embrace your natural hair! I think we look best with the features we’re born with!
Social Media (Where can we find you?)
Blog: Greenyourbeauty.blogspot.ca
Twitter: greenyourbeauty


Like Annalee’s products?
Check your local beauty supply store or find them online at: http://www.honeyfig.ca/ and http://www.curlmart.com/


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment