July 21, 2012

Check out Dem Curls: Evelyn!

With natural styling by the wind, I don’t have to worry about combing my hair everyday - Evelyn


What’s your name? Evelyn R Espinal
How old are you? 24
What do you do? I’m a Business management student at Humber Lakeshore / brazilian zouk dancer
Where are you? At home lol…in Toronto
How did we meet? During a Zouk social
Now Playing :
Santa Maria (del Buen Ayre) Gotan Project
(I enjoy all sorts of music!)
Quote you live by: "I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe."- Dalai Lama
Describe your hair type? Medium length thick hair with loose curls.
Tell us a little about your hair history and what made you decide to go natural?
I used to wear it curly all through high school and as I grew older I wanted drastic changes, I’ve gone from red to blonde highlights but always maintained my dark chocolate base colour. I’ve done bangs across and to the side as well as cutting my hair above shoulder length. The thing is hair stylists would always give me a straight style and therefore I would have to maintain it by always drying it etc until it grew long enough to leave it curly. Same with bangs, I love bangs across but that’s very damaging to my hair as I would have to blow dry them straight ALL THE TIME.
Describe your hair regime

[Click on the product names, for product links!]
That’s easy, shampoo (Pantene Pro-v Curly Hair Series: Mositure Renewal Shampoo), condition (Pantene Pro-v Curly Hair Series: Moisture Renewal Conditioner) but rinse with semi cold water so the oils don’t strip away with the heat. I massage the scalp to allow blood flow and help growth. I comb my hair while the conditioner is in my hair by running my fingers through it. Later before putting the towel over my hair, to dry I squeeze gently the excess water with hands and add coconut oil. If I'm going out, I add a bit of curl mousse and then put the towel over my hair. I find that this allows all the excess mousse to stay on the towel and it doesn’t weigh down my curls.
As a leave-in I use Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum by Organix (can be found at shoppers drug mart) which is an amazing serum that smells great and is inexpensive.
I usually wear my hair down and I don’t diffuse it, I just let it dry naturally. The only times I will use a diffuser is during the winter months. When I wear it up I usually tie it back using hair spray and or mousse to help with the fly aways. Although I know this is really damaging to my hair. I try not to do so as much unless it’s really warm out.
Who is your hair icon? I don’t think I really have a hair icon…would Dave Mayeda count? He’s one of those hair gurus on Youtube.
What was your Momma’s best kept hair secret? Kinda learned on my own as I went along lol
The one hair product you couldn’t live without? Hair serum
Mistakes that you’ve learned from.
Hair gel is way too heavy on my curls (I love volume), and the alcohol isn’t good for your hair
I also learned that you MUST KEEP MOISTURE for curly kair
What’s the best thing about being curly? Natural styling by the wind, I don’t have to worry about combing my hair everyday lol
Any advice for ‘dem curls out there?
USE SERUM!!!


















Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment