August 7, 2012

Are you LOCing it?!?


Coconut Oil
(Picture Credits from: marksdailyapple.com)

One of the biggest challenges I have faced with my hair since going natural is dryness. Keeping the moisture in my hair has always been an issue.

Curly hair can get very dry, so moisturizing is very important! However, because our hair is naturally porous (water molecules can pass in and out of the hair shaft easily) it's very important to seal in that moisture. Otherwise, you might find yourself having to moisturizer frequently or you might be moisturizing but your hair still remains dry.  

While skimming through YouTube videos I came across the LOC method by BlackOnyx77 (click here for the video). I have been a LOCer ever since :)

Step 1: Liquid - Apply a liquid to moisturize the hair. Remember, water is the best moisturizer as it can naturally penetrate the hair shaft. Mist hair with water, co-wash, or dampen  hair. I also use this step to apply my Leave-In Conditioner. Remember to use a water based leave-in.

Step 2: Oil - Apply an oil to seal in the liquid. Coconut oil works best for me but there are so many options!: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil...experiment and find which works best with your hair. Coconut oil, avocado oil and olive oil have also been shown to naturally penetrate the hair shaft and help strengthen the hair. Remember oil alone does not moisturizeit seals water out. So misting your hair with water before applying the oil is very important.

Step 3: Cream - Apply a cream to seal in the oil. I switch it up a lot  but currently I am using Shea Butter (I make my own mixture with organic Shea Butter - blog post to follow!). But other products I have tried and loved are (click on the purple name for product link):

Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Curls Souffle Hair Cream

Elasta QP Moisturizer, Olive Oil & Mango Butter


Since using this method, my hair has been so moisturized! Not only is it softer but it retains moisture so much better. Moisturized hair = happy hair.

Happy LOCing everyone!! =)


xo J


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment